Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Hola,

Well this week has been a bit frustrating. We changed our proselyting schedule so that we work during the siesta which is the national nap time from after lunch until like 4 in the afternoon. It really is quite impressive that an entire country can organize a nap time so large. For us, however, it is a bit difficult. There aren`t a lot of people in the streets, but it has lead to some interesting experiences. We clapped this house that looked like it was half under construction but a lady came out with a baby and she invited us to sit down and she told us that her daughter was born a month ago and the day after her mom passed away. She really was taking it really well, but it was very interesting to see the mix of two life changing moments at basically the same time, but with completely different emotions involved. She is the second oldest of 7 kids who still live there in the house. The youngest is like 14 and he was taking it really hard. But we shared a bit about the plan of salvation and than a few days later we went back and shared about the Book of Mormon and how it could bring them peace in times like these. Brian who is the 14 year old said a prayer at the end expressing his confidence that the teachings of the Book of Mormon would help them. They really weren`t super interested in coming to church or anything, but I was grateful that we were able to help a family in need. I think it is something that they will always remember.

We had a couple funny experiences this week too. We were teaching this guy about the Book or Mormon and mid lesson he gets a text and starts reading it and ignoring us and he says that he wants to know what we think about the text he just received. I am pretty glad he told us about it cause it sounds pretty intense.. All people in the United States are being implanted with a chip in their arm that is the mark of the beast. We can only buy things if we have that chip. I thought I should let you guys know cause it sounds pretty serious. Also, my companion was almost kissed by a woman this week. haha Here they do that thing where you do like the kissing on the both sides of the cheek without actually kissing the cheek (if that explanation makes any sense) and this lady went in super slow and Elder Graves just froze.. haha And at the last second he backs his face away and apologizes to the lady. After he was just like "she had her face close to me forever!" haha Luckily I don`t think she was offended. I got a good laugh about it though.

But even though the new schedule is a bit difficult it is a good opportunity to find people who we may not find in other ways. They might be a little upset that we wake them up, but if we can help them get eternal life they will be ok. I bore my testimony to Monica and Graciela and I really just realized how certain I am that all of this that I am teaching is true. I know that this is Christ`s true church. But our testimonies are shown by what we are willing to do. It isn`t that hard to give two years of your life, especially when you get so much in return. I am so grateful for this mission. I know I am not paying my time but rather putting myself in greater debt. And the way I plan to show my gratitude to the Lord is by giving Him every day of my life. Maybe I can`t go out and preach every day like I am now, but I can still dedicate my life to Him. It is the only thing I have to give Him. These two years of my life are really just my opportunity to learn how to give Him all my life. How grateful I am for this opportunity.

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." -Matthew 16:25

Con amor, Elder Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment