Monday, September 2, 2013

First E-mail from the MTC

Hola!

So this is my P-day and we should usually be emailing around this time. But the MTC is amazing! I have already learned such a huge amount and I am so grateful for this opportunity that has been made possible by my Heavenly Father and by my family and by everyone who has helped me.

The first day was actually really rough. I was having a hard time and it was a long day and I was already letting myself get frustrated with everything. Then we did a workshop called "people and your purpose" where we taught fake investigators as a group. That is when I began to think about the reasons why I am here and none of them are about me. There have already been so many experiences that have made me realize how selfish I have been thus far in my life and that have helped me to have a desire to be more selfless and focus on others.

One of the experiences I had was when I began to pray in Spanish (yes I can already do that pretty well and it is awesome!). I realized that I was praying mainly for me and so I ended by praying for the people of Argentina. Later, I realized that the reason I was frustrated was because I wasn't learning Spanish as fast as I wanted so that I could communicate. I realized that was very selfish and that I am not here to learn Spanish so I can communicate and look cool for knowing Spanish. I am here so that the people of Argentina and Paraguay can hear the gospel in their own language and come unto Christ and receive the blessing that I have received.

Another experience I had was when I was praying a few nights ago. I began to think about how I have been saved by the Savior and his Atonement and I how he has helped me to be clean and worthy to be on a mission. I just felt so happy thinking about that! Then I just felt this overpowering desire to help the people I will teach have that same feeling! That idea made me feel even happier! I am so excited to help those people and I am going to work as hard as I can to be the best that I can be. Not for me, but for my Savior and for those people who I love even though I have never met them.

I am also here for everyone who has helped me become who I am and who has helped prepare me to be a good missionary. Everyone who reads this has had an impact on me and has put so much work into trying to help me, especially my parents! I need to be a good missionary for all of you because that is the best way I can show my gratitude for you.

In class we learn a lot of Spanish and a lot about the gospel. I can already pray, bare my testimony and say quite a bit. I am working as hard as I can, especially when we teach our "investigator" Rafael. We get to teach him just like he is a real investigator all in Spanish! It is crazy! But it is so cool to be able to bear witness of the things I know and to help Rafael in any way I can, all in Spanish! We taught him to pray the other day and it was so cool to hear! Soon we will teach him about the Restoration and I memorized the first vision so I can tell him by memory! I was also able to bare witness to him during the lesson and to my zone during testimony meeting that families are eternal. I talked about Jace and how when that happens you really have to believe that families can be forever. I know that families can be forever and it would be so selfish to keep that knowledge to myself! I want to share it with everyone I meet!

I was thinking about how Dad said that Jace and Grandma and Grandpa were going to be at the MTC looking out for me and then I started thinking about a talk we saw that Elder Bednar called the character of Christ. He talks about turning outward and thinking of others like the Savior did. So anyways he talks about how when Christ had finished fasting he probably could have used help from angels and the devil even tempted him with that but instead he sent the angels to Paul who was in prison. So I was thinking about all that and I prayed to Heavenly Father and told Him that I have felt Jace, Grandma and Grandpa Wilson and other angels with me and I thanked Him, but I told him that I was going to be ok and that if it was His will that he would send them to the people of Argentina and Paraguay to prepare them for the missionaries or to someone else who needs angels way more than I do. There are physical angels everywhere here at the MTC, so others can definitely use my personal family angels more than I can. So I like to think that Jace and Grandma and Grandpa Wilson are somehow helping the people I love who I am going to teach and that is an awesome feeling.

Ok, I know I have already written a lot, so I will be done pretty soon. But my companion is Elder Tritchfield and we are in a room with Elder Cross (the district leader) and Elder Ogden from Ogden, Utah. There are also 5 sisters in our district which is really cool cause they help keep us on task. And we are all going to the same mission so that is way cool! My companion is a beast basketball player from West Palm Beach, Florida and he is already way good at Spanish! Everyone is getting along really well and learning so much.

I miss you all very much and I love getting your letters! I sent a few home the other day but I think it might not get there until Tuesday. I will probably send more today when I have some extra time too. But just know that I love it here now that I am trying to be less selfish and trying to think of others. I am so much happier when I am looking for ways to serve others and when I remember that I am not here for me. I am here for all of you, for the people of Argentina and Paraguay and for my Savior! I love you all so much!

Love, Elder Hawk


No comments:

Post a Comment